2013 Races

Races for 2013

February 22-23 - Ragnar Del Sol Ultra
March 2 - Old Pueblo 50 Miler
April 20 Cottonwood Marathon
May 27 - Sage Burner Trail 50k
September 7 - Imogene Pass Run


14.11.13

Year in Review

What a crazy year.  Last October I decided I really wanted to be an Ultra runner.  I had already done one, but it was only 51k and on the road.  I decided the point of ultra running, for me anyway is to really test yourself, test your limits, see what the old body can do.
You all know if you have read previous posts that running isn't something I have always done.  I am not fast and I used to be so out of shape I had to run/walk a 5k when I started.
So here I go on this journey.  I signed up for Old Pueblo 50 which was March 2, 2013 and I trained my butt off!  (In reality, my butt got tighter, but I didn't lose a single pound)  I accomplished the feat with a  bunch of awesome friends who thought it would be fun to spend the day and watch me suffer.
I had also applied to be an Altra Ambassador for my favorite shoes.  Altra Zero Drop for the Ultra Runner! Yay!  Believe it or not they chose me!!!  And best of all, throughout all of my adventures this year they are still my favorite shoe!
The week before OP50 we did Ragnar as an Ultra team. As good teammates they forbade me to take the long legs, so I think I only did 28-30 miles.  I was bummed, but I got to cross the finish line for our team. That was pretty spectacular.
It has been a fun year.
This shoe is my best traveling companion.

25 miles in I felt great.

Yeah, we do logos for everything.

My first belt buckle

This is me as a border patrol agent while I ran OP50
My first DNF.  It was a night run.  I fell and lost my nerve. It happens.

Hanging out in the trees having fun while the real me was trying to finish OP50

This has been an amazing year!  The beginning of my journey as an Ultra Runner and mentor.  It has been difficult and fun. I have fallen so many times.  Sometimes it just takes a minute and a few breathes before you can pick yourself up and dust yourself off and keep moving.
I never in a million years thought I would be here today.  I am so happy and proud of who I have become and how I inspire others.  Along with the rest of the Cholla Chicks I expect so much from myself.  That "so much" means, successes and failures all bundled up to be an amazing adventure called life.
I am excited to see what next year brings.  My goals for the next 2 years are to qualify for Boston, complete OP50 in under 12 hours.  Do Zane Grey and figure out which terrifying 100 miler to do.

1 comment: